Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Old Man Basketball

I watched the Spurs and Hornets last night and I just knew that somehow the Hornets would find a way to pull it out and win this game. To my chagrin, it never happened. The Spurs did to the Hornets what your dad or older uncle would do to you as a young kid, they 'old manned' you to death. Nothing flashy, nothing quick, just results. On it's face, if I wouldn't have seen the game and just saw the final score, I would have said that the Spurs got the home cookin' (beneficial calls from the refs) that some thought the Hornets would get, since the game was in NO. But this wasn't one of your Dwayne Wade moments against the Mavs to win the title a few years back (I think the Mavs are still getting called for fouls to this day from that game), the Spurs played meticulous basketball. They got contributions from guys who probably are dead already (based on their NBA careers) in Finley, and Horry. They got a lift from Udoka and some Bowen defense, but in the end, it came down to 'Timmy' and Parker. I was surprised to see Parker even wave Duncan off a few times during the game. Then I saw Duncan apologizing to Parker on the way to the huddle on one occasion. No, I didn't forget the performance of the night from Ginobili (although something about him makes me not like the dude). Ginobili carried the Spurs in the 2nd when they pushed their lead into double digits.
I had hoped that West would catch on fire, but whatever they were able to do to his back wasn't enough for him to play at 100%. Both he and CP3 had good games but terrible nights shooting. I saw Stojakovic's face on a milk carton this morning, a trip to the Western Conference Finals is the reward for finding him and his game. The Hornets seemed to lose it a little at the end of the 2nd and beginning of the 3rd quarters. Did Byron get it wrong by not putting in spark plug Julian Wright or play Bonzi a little longer? Was Pargo a little late with his heroics?
I guess these questions will never be answered sufficiently for the Hornets. At least they can bank on the fact that they can get back to this point next year, well, hopefully they can with a better bench and a better draw in the playoffs.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anytime Generic Pargo has the ball in his hands with a Game 7 on the line, you're gonna lose.

Inquisitive Mind said...

He seemed to be the only guy with a pulse and he seemed to want to shoot the ball. Maybe it was just a little too late. If he hits that 3 to tie,...it's a different game.