Thursday, July 31, 2008

I Denounce Ron Artest

In light of the current media blitz around who will be our next President, I'm come to the following conclusion. (Yes, I'm about to dip into politrics just a little). Since Barack has to 'denounce' every person of color that does/says something ignorant, I am going to pick up from where he has left off. I Denounce Ron Artest. The following article is a snippet from our friends at ESPN.com:

...... A day after the Rockets and Sacramento Kings agreed in principle to a deal sending Artest to Houston for Bobby Jackson, Donte Greene and a first-round draft pick, Yao expressed concerns about team chemistry to the Houston Chronicle and referenced Artest's involvement in the 2004 brawl with Pistons fans.

"Hopefully, he's not fighting anymore and going after a guy in the stands," Yao said, according to the Chronicle.

When asked about those comments, Artest said Yao had bought into "all the propaganda" about him, according to The Sacramento Bee.

"I understand what Yao said, but I'm still ghetto," Artest said, according to the report. "That's not going to change. I'm never going to change my culture. Yao has played with a lot of black players, but I don't think he's ever played with a black player that really represents his culture as much as I represent my culture. Once Yao Ming gets to know me, he'll understand what I'm about.

"If you go back to the brawl, that's a culture issue right there," Artest added, according to the report. "Somebody was disrespecting me, so he's got to understand where I'm coming from. People that know me know that Ron Artest never changed."The agreed-to deal sending Artest to Houston cannot become official until Aug. 14. And Artest, who has one year remaining on his contract, also said he was looking for a long-term deal from the Rockets, according to the report.

Now let me first say that Yao was flat out wrong for his remark. He should have given the non qualifying remark, 'it'll be great to have Artest on our team as he brings an edge that we haven't had in the past along with 20+ points per game'. That would have been lovely. Then this is a non issue. But then Ron Ron hears that and goes all,......hood on us and says what he says. Why can't this dude see that he needs to hire a publicist for EVERY occasion, even when he calls his mom. Even if Yao said what he did, just say that 'hey, when Yao and I get a chance to sit down and talk, he'll understand me better'. All of the rest of the ignant stuff that came out of his mouth was uncalled for. Is there EVER a reason that you'd want to proclaim 'I'm still ghetto'? Then to go on and say that Ron represents black culture. He doesn't represent mine, he represents a whole different thing. Just say 'I'm from the QB and if you don't know about that, you don't really know me' or something to that effect. So by putting this ignant stuff in the papers,......I have to do it,......there's no other choice,........I Denounce Ron Artest.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hold on, hold on.....

ron was just being true to the game, and you can't hate on that. as bad as his remarks sounded, they simply are a reflection of his own upbringing in QB. now his attempt to associate his upbringing on the entirety of the black population of the NBA is ridiculous. i actually appreciate the candor and the fact that artest has held true to his "roots", even if it sounded insane. how often do players try to "change" who they are because they have some loot and drive bomb ass whips? there's no identity crisis here, he's representing QB day in and day out.

yao's comments only speak to his own ignorance of the situation, artest and possibly black people in general. maybe yao thinks all black people are nice and easy going public benefactors like tracey, dikembe and others. while some would do nothing, it's easy to see that ron will defend his own to the like or apparent dislike of others. how many of "us" wouldn't have swolllen up after being hit with drink at your job or in public?

i'll tell you one thing, yao better watch his mouth because artest will punish his 7 foot + charmin filled ass!