Tuesday, July 15, 2008

WWFD (What Would Favre Do?)

Well, I am not going to be the first one to say that I am tired of the Favre stuff. I wish either the team or Favre could make a decision so that this will stay off of the news (CNN) and Sportscenter. Will he, won't he, will they, won't they,.....sad on lots of fronts. The root of the problem seems to come down to ego. We all have one (some people have two), but that's what it comes down to. Let's take a look at what's happened.

Favre retires after umpteen years in the NFL. He goes out of the game as a media darling and by some accounts, one of the best QBs to ever play the game. All I will say is that Favre has brought us lots of fun and thrills over his years. He's also brought a lot of heartache with some of his play. He finally got his Superbowl ring when Reggie White was there and I was one of those that was happy for him. He still has the longest running starting streak for QBs, something that means a lot to the guys that have played the game before. So, let's cement him in the HOF and call it a day. Retire the #4 jersey in Green Bay and have him come back to do guest commentary on Sundays.

But wait a minute,....word is Favre wants to play again. I guess being at home with the wife will do that to you (I know that's part of the reason Jerry Rice couldn't just give it up). Favre wants to play for the Packers. The Packers decide, hey this is something we can do,.....but right before the announcement, Favre says, 'that's all folks'. So now you have a team (GM) who is pissed because he may have gone out of his way to bring Favre back (we don't think that Thompson ever wanted Favre back after the retirement, but some executive wrangling changed his mind). So a few months later, we're back at it again,...Favre wants to come back, Thompson with that, we've danced this dance before attitude, decides to put Favre off until he comes back from vacation. All of a sudden you have Favre, his mom, his kids, his agent, sky writers, and such saying that Favre is serious about coming back. So now we're where we are with this story. Favre asks the Packers for his unconditional release because he doesn't feel wanted (after Thompson says that Favre can come back and backup Aaron Rodgers) in Green Bay. Isn't this a daytime soap?!?!?

We all know that the Packers haven't handled this thing well, but they can't be that stupid to just out and out release Favre. Favre could go to Minny and come back to Green Bay and beat their brains in at least twice next year. Or Favre could go to Baltimore (not happening), Chicago (who will he throw the ball to?), Miami (1-15 last year), or possibly Carolina (the best possible fit outside of Minny). I doubt that the Packers let him go. He's part of the thread of Green Bay, eventhough some are turning on him.

So all this really needs is one of those moments from daytime TV where the couple (Thompson and Favre) are locked in a room/elevator/some precarious position and they start talking:

Favre - I told you I wanted to come back and all I really wanted was to be wanted.

Thompson - I've had it up to here with your games. Either you're in with me or you're not. I need to know now.

Favre - But,.....(sobbing) do you really want me? If you do, all you have to do is tell me that you want me and I'll come back to you. What do you want (sobbing and turning away)?

Thompson - Why do you have to make this so hard?,...YES, I want you, I want you to lead my team back to the Superbowl (and win), I want you to keep your place in history without destroying how people see you, and I want it all but I'm not sure if I can agree to bring you back (as he turns around and puts his head into his hands).

Favre - I can be all of the things you want me to be, just give me a chance. Give me my team back and pay Ryan Grant his money and we'll be whole again. I am willing to commit to you for at least 2 years, well maybe 1 year, or at least until I get tired again.

Thompson - How can I turn down an offer like that? Come here and let's seal this deal. I love you.

Favre - I love you too. (each walking briskly toward each other for that final kiss).

And that's where we are folks. Waiting for Thompson and Favre to kiss and make up. Football is a business and the Packers don't do good business by bringing Favre back just to let him sit on the sidelines. Imagine the pressure on Rodgers every series,....if he makes one mistake,...I can just hear the chants now (Favre,..Favre,....Favre!!!!). The Packers can't let him go for free, and I don't think that they'll get fair trade value by sending him somewhere in the AFC. This should all be worked out soon, but for god's sake,.....PLEASE take this off of TV. This is a bad soap opera.

No comments: