Monday, February 28, 2011

The Weekend that Was (Catching Up)


Ok, lots of sports to catch up on from this past weekend, so here’s the cliff notes version:

Miami Heat – Terrible loss against the Knicks and they were at home.  This team still ahs some wrinkles to iron out, most specifically some semblance of a half court offense, but I still think that they will be ok.  It’ll be interesting to see if they are players in the veteran market when Troy Murphy (bought out today) and possibly Mike Bibby (may get a buyout tomorrow) are added to the team. 

Los Angeles Lakers – Good game for the Lakers as a team.  They were able to keep Durant in check (isn’t that all the Lakers need from Artest) and they let their volume shooter, Kobe, get his 17 points on 22 attempts.  I only point that out because I have someone (Moose, I’m talking about you) who rides and dies with Kobe and his greatness, so I just had to point something out.  Congrats to Kobe for becoming #7 on the All Time scoring list. 

Duke Blue Devils – You went and did what?  You lost to the Hokies, in Blacksburg?  Yes, it’s a tough place to play but the Dukies came out lackadaisical or something and then fell behind.  With games against Clemson and UNC coming up, that should be the last ‘L’ for this team until the NCAA tournament.  There are rumors out of Durham that Kyrie Irving may return and I think quietly, Coach K is praying in earnest for that.  Plus, Irving may not want to go to the NBA next year with the lockout and several sources claiming that the Cleveland Cavaliers will select him with the #1 pick.  If Irving didn’t have a reason to stay, that may have clinched it. 

Cincinnati Bearcats – I took a bet just to watch how this team plays.  I still can’t understand how they score points?  I mean they are like the Miami Heat to me, they get steals and turnovers because of their defense and they are great in transition, but once you slow the game down, they look like a bunch of guys who just got to the same court and decided to play basketball.  No sets, no offense, just a lot of standing and watching.  Shout out to Dion Dixon, whom we have to hear about on occasion (Dion your cousin has your back).  You guys have some work to do in order to make the NCAAs so take your turn and step up your game.  Also, drop by and let’s do an interview or something.

San Antonio Spurs – People, they just keep winning.  I’m waiting for them to falter or even see a team that will catch them (Jason Terry said the Mavs would, but I’m not sure), but the Spurs are quietly beating the tar out of just about everyone.  Each night it’s a different person and Tim Duncan has been able to rest for the majority of the year.  I know people don’t think they have a chance because they aren’t the Lakers, but it’s time to take notice.

Chicago Bulls – Another team that people should really take notice of is the Bulls.  I’m going out on a limb that if the Bulls were able to pull off an OJ Mayo deal, I think they would be in the NBA Finals, this year.  They are that close, a SG away.  If they could combine Korver and Brewer into one person, that would be excellent.  Derrick Rose is playing out of his mind and he’ll have to continue doing that for the rest of the season.  He is, by all accounts, #1 on anyone’s MVP list.  Rasual Butler, whom the Bulls plan on signing today, will help, but I’m not sure he’s the answer either. 

BYU – I have seen a lot of Jimmer Fredette and I can say one thing, the kid can play ball.  He has that off the bus range (meaning you gotta start checking him when he gets off the bus) and enough savvy to know that if you crowd him he can make the right pass (9 asts against SDSU on Saturday).  He has proved that he can adapt his game and when he has help (Charles Abouo, 18 pts, 9 rebs, 2 stls) this team is going to be hard to beat.  I think that point guards have an advantage over other players making the leap to the NBA because they have the ball in their hands more.  Part of me thinks that Jimmer is going to be somewhere between Adam Morrison (bust) and JJ Redick (better than average role player).  It’ll be interesting to see where he goes in the draft.

The Big East – Understand that when I write this it give me pain.  I’m an ACC guy, born and bred and they have arguably always had the best conference in basketball from the top down.  This year, there is NO argument.  The best conference is the Big East and they are beating the crap out of each other.  Georgetown, Connecticut, Pittsburgh, Providence, Villanova, West Virginia, Syracuse, and quietly St. John’s have all taken turns beating each other.  I’m not sure who’s going to win this conference, but whoever does will definitely be battle tested.  I could see 3 or 4 Big East teams make it to the Elite 8 (depending on seeding) because of the level they’ve had to play at all year long.  

What should I be talking about?  

No comments: