Thursday, February 19, 2009

Inquisitive Mind - Rookie Report

I have left the majority of the NBA stuff for my guy NYSTOM to discuss but I am going to take a stab at putting together my assessment of the Top 5 rookies for the NBA season so far. Yes, it's only 5 but I got other things to do too. So without much ado, here's my list:

1 - Derrick Rose, Chicago Bulls

I thought Michael Beasley would have walked away with ROY honors this year, but I was sadly mistaken. Derrick Rose has proven that he is by and far the best rookie. Rose has shown his willingness to try and make this Bulls team better. Definitely a hard job considering that they don't have a post presence. He's averaged about 17pts and 7 assists a game, while showing off a decent jump shot. All I can say is, God, please get this kid some help.

2 - Mario Chalmers, Miami Heat

Chalmers isn't going to wow anyone with pure stats, but he's the starting point guard on a playoff team. He just got a post presence in Jermaine O'Neal and he has D Wade running in the back court with him. Chalmers is averaging 10 points, 5 assists, and almost 2 steals a game. I thought Miami got the steal of the draft when they got him and he's proving me right.

3 - OJ Mayo, Memphis Grizzlies

One thing Mayo can do is score (19 points a game), and with that he's adding a few boards (4 per game). He averages the same amount of turnovers as assists, so I'll leave that alone. He and Rudy Gay can probably put up close to 50 a night together. Mayo's scoring hasn't necessarily made the Grizzlies better, but his numbers can't be ignored.

4 - Brook Lopez, New Jersey Nets

Wow!!! That's all I can say. I didn't have this guy pegged as someone that could really play. Just a small upgrade over like a Jason Collins. Lopez has proven that he is truly gifted and he's putting up 12 points, 8 rebounds, and 2 blocks per game. His last 4 games have showed an improvement in his ppg (18) and rebounds (10). He has a chance to move up this list quickly.

5 - Michael Beasley, Miami Heat

Not fair to have two guys from the same team on the list, right? Beasley has played well at times and then others you wonder about his shot selection. He's averaging 13 points and 5 boards, but it's for a winning team. I have to think that given the green light on any occasion and Beasley would put up better numbers. So, for now, he's number 5 on my list, but I think he'll definitely move up.


That's my take on things. Am I as crazy as NYSTOM? I'll have to post his top 5 Rookies and then you make your own decision.

No comments: