Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Team USA

Well, it is that time of the year. For those of use content on figuring out what will Brett Favre do, what your favorite NFL team is doing in camp, and watching NFL pre-season football, there is actually a big deal happening in China on 8/8/08. The Olympics are here. This will probably be one of the few posts that I do about the Olympics (unless the NBA, I mean Team USA doesn't get a gold medal) because does anyone really care anymore? Growing up, the Olympics were cool, you had Dan (O'Brien) and Dave (Johnson), Carl Lewis (not singing the Star Spangled Banner), Jackie Joyner-Kersey, Flo Jo, Edwin Moses, Greg Louganis, and others that made the Olympics (more specifically the Summer Olympics) an event to watch. Now I don't really care. All I want to see is Team USA in Basketball bring home the gold, The Redeem Team as they are being called. Now that's not to say that I don't wish well upon the Allyson Felix, Tyson Gay, Natasha Kai, Hope Solo, Freddy Adu, and Misty May-Treanor, but it's really not something that I am going to make sure that I watch.

I guess between steroids in baseball, steroids in track, Spygate, the Brett Favre debacle, Shaq/Kobe part umteen, there's just this fatigue/malaise. I will do my best to watch the Opening Ceremony but after that, there better not be an available golf course within 30 miles of me or I may miss the whole deal. I'm sure that the guys over at NBC will be creating another 'Olympic moment' that may prompt me to write a piece or two, but at this point, all I can say is 'Go USA, Bring Home the Gold.'

No comments: