It was mentioned last night prior to the Eagles/Redskins game that Donovan McNabb signed a 5 year, $78M deal with the Redskins. I think many people thought that there was a misprint somewhere based on the what’s been going on in DC. McNabb was benched for Rex Grossman towards the end of a game and the reasoning behind that decision were many: he wasn’t in shape, he didn’t know the 2-minute drill, and that there are actually unicorns if you look hard enough. None of those actually made any sense then or now, but we all know that Shanahan has that Napoleonic complex and is constantly at odds with some player on his squad. Add to all of this the fact that McNabb is 34 years old and I personally thought someone let the pen slip when they were writing out the numbers.
So today, more information on McNabb’s contract leaks and it’s really not as good/bad (depending on who you are) as one would think. Details are below:• 2010: $3.5 million signing bonus/$250,000 if active eight games
• 2011: $10 million option bonus/$2.5 million salary/$750,000 if active 16 games/$250,000 workout/$2 million possible playoff incentives
• 2012: $12.75 million salary/$750,000 if active 16 games/$250,000 workout/$2 million possible playoff incentives
• 2013: $13 million salary/$1.5 million if active 16 games/$250,000 workout/$2 million possible playoff incentives
• 2014: $13.75 million salary/$3 million if active 16 games/$250,000 workout/$2 million possible playoff incentives
• 2015: $13.55 million salary/$2.25 million if active 16 games/$250,000 workout/$2 million possible playoff incentives
In the end, if the Redskins cut McNabb this summer, he will only be due a paltry $3.75M. If they don’t cut him this summer, the contract kicks in and McNabb will get paid in accordance to the deal above. At the end of the day, the Redskins still have a decision to make and I expect that Shanahan will have a lot of input on this one. Look for McNabb in a different uniform next year.
This actually seems like a better deal for McNabb to the effect of ‘please don’t sign me next year, but if you do all the BS I’ve had to deal with is gonna cost you’. What’s your take on this one?