Saturday, November 22, 2008

2K Sports Classic Title Game

First tournament win of the season for the Dukies and they did it against a pretty game Michigan team. It seems as though Duke has found an early niche on the defensive side of the ball. When they get in trouble on offense, they go to Gerald Henderson and Kyle Singler. This team has been able to win playing a few different kinds of games, but their defense will save them this year. I am surprised how good Nolan Smith is playing so far this year. If he continues to play like this, I won't be as concerned about the Duke backcourt.

These early season tournaments are a time for the coaches to experiment and see what they have. I like the starting 5 of Singler, Zoubek, Henderson, Smith, and Scheyer. You have 3 scorers on the floor in Scheyer, Singler, and Henderson, a big post presence (at least on defense) in Zoubek, and Smith who can do it all. Right now the Blue Devils are deep and I hope they can stay healthy. I want to see this team as they mature over the year and I want to see something past the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament.

No comments: