Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Snatching Victory From the Jaws of Defeat

pic from Gary A. Vasquez/US Presswire and ESPN.com

You won't see me post much about college football, because there are like 50 games a weekend and I don't have that many TVs or enough Tivo or that many digital recorders. Last night after I got little Inquisitive Mind and the Mrs. down for sleep, I watched the second half of the Tennessee/UCLA game. To say that it was exciting would be like saying philly cheese steaks are bad for you. Kevin Craft had to be the worst QB in both Division 1 and 2 last night in the first half with 66 passing yards and 4 picks, I would have thought that the kicker would have started at QB in the 2nd half (both the starter and the original backup were hurt, thus Craft getting the start). Rick Neuheisel stuck with the warm body and allowed this kid to play, and that he did. He looked like a veteran QB in the 2nd half, especially leading his team down the field for the go ahead TD. I thought Tennessee was going to get the award for 'what not to do when you're up late in a game', but even they came back and tied the game with no time on the clock to send it into overtime. At this point, I'm just grabbing the pillow because I wanted to see Sportscenter before going to bed but UCLA let them just march down the field for the tying field goal. In OT, both offenses got very conservative and both settled for field goals with Tennessee missing theirs and thus losing the game. I'm sure UCLA wanted to win this game instead of Tennessee losing it, but hey, a W is a W. Welcome home Neuheisel.

No comments: